Wandile Sihlobo is perfectly positioned to provide a well-rounded, accessible view of agriculture in South Africa. He spent his school holidays in the rural Eastern Cape, studied agricultural economics at university, has worked in private-sector agriculture, consulting with farmers across the country, and has been an adviser to government as part of South African policy making bodies.
Finding Common Ground by Wandile Sihlobo
Finding Common Ground is a selection of key articles from Sihlobo’s regular Business Day column, framed with insightful commentary and context. The book covers the broad themes that have marked current discussions and outlines the challenges and opportunities faced by South Africa’s agricultural sector, including:
- The contentious and complex issue of land reform;
- The potential for new leadership to revive the sector;
- How agriculture can drive development and job creation;
- Cannabis as an exportable commodity;
- The urgent need for agricultural policy to address gender equity and youth involvement;
- Technological developments and megatrends that are underpinning agricultural development;
- The importance of trade in growing South Africa’s agriculture; and
- Key lessons that South Africa and other African countries can learn from one another.